I remember getting engaged and while the excitement was abounding, I soon after started feeling overwhelmed by the number of tasks I foresaw would be required to make this wedding happen to everyone’s satisfaction. Every day there seemed to be more and more to consider and plan for and I wanted to cover all the bases with ease and in a timely fashion like my type A personality insisted on. My post-its were everywhere and in retrospect I wonder if hiring a wedding planner would have eased so much of that stress allowing me to have more sleep filled nights.
I’ve talked to so many couples getting married at various stages of their wedding preparation and while many were perfectly comfortable in making all the plans themselves, others were happy to hand all the wedding prep over to a wedding planner who would listen to their wishes and needs and whom they could trust to make the magic happen. I thought about various personalities and whether that played a factor in deciding on hiring a wedding planner. While a bit tongue in cheek, this is what I came up with.
Which Type Are You?
A. You are a detail oriented person that enjoys getting things done ahead of time. Nothing gives you more pleasure than completing a ‘To Do’ list. Spreadsheets are your love language.
B. On your last vacation you planned everything down to the last second including time for brushing your teeth. You visited five countries in three days and brought home personalized souvenirs for your extended family and everyone at the office.
C. You are a great planner with good ideas but don’t mind asking for help in some areas.
D. You are a free spirited optimist that believes everything will be lowered into place on ribbons by wedding fairies whilst you sleep.
E. You never made a decision you liked. If you ask your fiancé one more question about colour blocking or choosing between fuchsia and magenta table runners he or she is going to run screaming for the hills.
Some Benefits Of Having A Wedding Planner
If you answered D or E you might want to consider hiring a wedding planner right away, but anyone can benefit from having a wedding planner.
1. They offer a wide variety of services. Some are willing to plan only certain parts of a wedding which might save on cost and leave those who answered ‘C’ free to plan the aspects they enjoy. Even our ‘A’ and ‘B’ super planners can benefit from having someone else in charge of setup and takedown, leaving them free to enjoy the day.
2. Destination weddings in particular might benefit from having a wedding planner. If they are familiar with the part of the world you’re planning to travel to they can help with documentation, paperwork, and correspondence with the venue operator.
3. Even though planners are themselves an expense, a wedding planner can be very helpful in keeping you on budget. Their contacts with trustworthy vendors may save you time, and because vendors depend on their referrals, dollars as well.
Some Questions To Consider Asking
1. How long have you been a wedding planner?
2. What kind of services and packages do you offer?
3. Are you a member of a professional organization and or the Better Business Bureau?
4. Do you have references I could be in touch with and photos from previous events?
It is up to you to be clear with your potential wedding planner as to what you foresee your wedding day to look like along with budget expectations, and what exactly you are hoping them to do. Do you need help with decor, flowers, photography, pre-wedding parties, rehearsal dinner, organization of out-of-town guests, guest special needs, seating arrangements…? Wedding planners can help you with any part of the concept, organization and execution of your wedding day. They can also be someone who helps you to focus and breathe. Breathing is good!
Eventastic gives couples their custom wedding themed website with universal gift registry, photo sharing, video features, ticketing (for pre-wedding fundraising parties) and registration options. Try it now!