We have had great fun speaking with couples getting married all over the world and time and time again the discussion arises as to whether it is ok to ask for money when getting married.
Younger, first marriage couples like either option of having both packaged gifts and money given as gifts for their wedding. Couples that are established in homes with all the basics and couples getting married the second time say they would like to be able to add a few gift items to their registry they’ve yet to acquire, but more often they prefer cash gifts.
Cash gifting at weddings has been around forever but couples said they found it difficult to find tactful ways of asking for money. Being able to request monies by telling guests what they plan to apply the funds to is much more palatable for the couple and the guests. Guests want to give something useful at a wedding and what better way than to be given options that the couple are saving towards and would truly appreciate.
Here are the top categories of cash gifts that couples added to their Guest Funding feature on Eventastic.
- Home Reno: A new home doesn’t always mean a new home. Often there are changes to the home the couple has on a wish list and why not add a new kitchen, wood flooring, new deck etc. to your registry.
- Experience Gift: Whether a cooking class, fitness membership, photography course…there are always things we would like to learn more about.
- Honeymoon: The honeymoon and subsequent excursion trips can be costly. Couples loved having the opportunity to put pictures with descriptions of their plans/wishes and have guests contribute thus making it more affordable.
- Vacations: Aside from the honeymoon there are always places we would like to experience. Never been to New York and would love a weekend away? This is a great opportunity to put a picture with description of the place or a site and have guests help you get there.
- Funds: Educational funds and retirement funds were top on the list.
- Charity: Couples loved having the opportunity to give to a charity of their choice following the wedding
So the answer to the question “Is it ok to ask for money on your wedding registry?”…..ABSOLUTELY!
Eventastic is an online website where you sign in for free and create your own unique wedding themed website/event page using features such as photo and video sharing, guest funding, ticketing & registration plus more. In addition you can add sub-events to your wedding website like pre-wedding parties with all their details. You can even sell tickets to parties like Stag’NDoe right on your event page and share through email or social media channels making event promotion and sales so much easier!
Click here now and start have fun creating yours!
Let’s do something different!
Millions of couples get married every year and every one of them look to make their wedding a little different than others they know. Whether it be the theme, decor, dress, venue, food, entertainment, honeymoon or otherwise…. there is an intrinsic need to diversify.
The honeymoon is a holiday taken by newlyweds where they can share a specific time period to focus on and celebrate their new life together as a married couple. Where that vacation occurs varies greatly depending on the couple’s interests and finances. Doing something you’ve never done before with your new spouse is a great way of starting a new chapter in your life along with building all the associated fun stories that will go along with it, making it memorable for a lifetime. Planning something out of the ordinary now just might have your journey together begin with the BANG you’re looking for.
Unconventional honeymoon ideas
All-inclusive southern beach resort honeymoon destinations are always amazing but have you considered something more unconventional?
- Fishing Trip – Planning a fishing trip in cottage country or even a deep-sea fishing excursion out of the country could bring you the excitement and great stories you’ll treasure for a life time.
- Motorcycle Excursion – Experiencing an adventure while driving a motorcycle to destinations you’ve never experienced can be exhilarating. (Red Rock in Vegas is awesome! – just saying…)
- Walking Holiday – There are multiple options of taking walking tours in Europe or other countries where you trek to new locations every day making memories with every step.
- Exotic Race Car Racing – Can you imagine returning from your honeymoon with racing skills and shirts to match? Why not!
My own honeymoon was definitely not typical. My fiancé and myself bought a second hand trailer (knowing we wanted to have an affordable summer vacation spot) and spent our honeymoon building a deck for it and roasting spidey dogs over a campfire. Even 24 years later we laugh about our time together that week and the feelings of accomplishment we felt.
Having a Universal Gift Registry with Eventastic Weddings will give you the options of adding not only excursions and trips to your gift wish list but even adding pictures of the deck you’re planning on building! Wedding guests want to help celebrate your new life together by contributing to things you really want.
If you are planning a special trip, why not add a picture of your destination or excursion to your gift wish list under the ‘monetary gifting’ section of your registry and give guests the opportunity to give monies toward it! Planning a unique honeymoon can be more affordable when using Eventastic Weddings registry!