Second Marriage Gift Registry Thoughts
Time and time again I hear engaged couples say, “Oh this is our second marriage so we won’t be having a gift registry… we really don’t need anything”. When I hear that I think “Hogwash!” Everyone has little or big dreams of things they would like!
Guests want to give you something to help celebrate your nuptials with your fiancé. That’s what a wedding registry is for; to help guests choose things for you that will be truly appreciated. Guests want to give to you both so why not make it easier for them!
Think Beyond Household Basics
The fact is, that when couples getting married the second time think of a typical wedding gift registry, they think of towels, cutlery, bedding and kitchen supplies as being on a wedding registry. Like most couples who are getting married for the second or more time, they already have all the basics one would normally think of for first time newlyweds. Let’s face it, they probably are looking at having garage sales to get rid of some of their things they’ve accumulated over the years! Who says though, a wedding gift registry has to be made up of the classic wedding gift items that every first time bride and groom have on their list?
Unique new ideas for your second marriage wedding registry!
Check out our categories of gift registry ideas that might inspire you with some gift thoughts you might not have thought of. With Eventastic cash Guest Funding feature option you simply create your event page and add the Guest Funding option to your page. You’ll simply fill in the popup template with the item details and put a picture relevant to what you would appreciate and when the event page is shared, people are given the option to contribute monies toward it. What a great way of adding more expensive gift option ideas and encourage group gifting to make your wish a reality!
- Home Renovation – Have you had thoughts of making changes in your home to make it more suitable or endearing for the two of you? Whether it be new floor, cupboards, taking a wall out, deck, you can give guests the opportunity to give towards a home project you’ve got on your to-do list.
- Landscaping Changes – You’d love to have a new walkway or patio? The fire-pit area or dock at the cottage has seen better days? Maybe you have your eyes on a new water feature for your yard. All these make for great things that wedding guests could contribute towards.
- Travel Ideas – Whether a small bus tour to a winery, boating trip, honeymoon, vacation away, there is usually some place you have on your bucket list that you’ve yet to see. This is a perfect opportunity for others to contribute toward your goal.
- Specialty Items – Would you truly appreciate a bottle of wine from a certain vintage? Cohiba Robusto cigars or a humidor? Camus Cognac Cuvee? GPS for the motorcycle? Money for a course you both want to take?
- Donations – Do you have a cause you feel connected to? This is a great opportunity to give to something via your guests donating to it in your name right on your wedding event page!
Think outside the box. There are no hard and fast rules in what you can add to your Eventastic Guest Funding! Keep in mind that wedding guests want to share in the excitement of your special day and it is appreciated by guests when you give them ideas of things you both would love.
I recently was invited to a wedding and to my dismay the couple had added not more than 20 items to their gift registry. There were 200 people invited to attend the wedding. You do the math…. there was very little choice for guests to consider and not knowing the couple very well made it even more difficult to shop for something special.
You’re guests will appreciate options!
Whether the couple is wanting wedding gifts or not, wedding guests will always want to buy the bride and groom a gift to express their happiness with the couple’s decision to marry. Most times it is difficult for the guests to really know the couple’s likes, needs and wishes. Guests will always appreciate the opportunity to browse a suggested wedding gift list (wedding registry) to make their choice in gift buying easier and know they are buying something that will truly be appreciated.
The average wedding guest list has between 200 and 250 people. Considering the ‘couple factor’ there needs to be at least 125 gifts listed in a wedding registry for this size of attendance in order to be helpful to your guests (and you receiving the gifts). Typically, a wedding guest will spend between $75 – $125 while family members often spend around $150 for a wedding present. Having gift ideas in these price ranges is imperative. Lower priced items are also a good idea as they give guests the options of doing a combo of presents. You can also include even higher priced items thus giving guests options of going together with other couples on a gift.
My philosophy is that you can never have too many gift choices on your wedding registry but you can certainly have too few!
Gift categories to inspire you
I hear brides say all too often at the multitude of wedding shows I’ve attended, “I don’t know what to put on my registry” or “I’m not doing a registry because this is my second marriage and I already have my cutlery and towels”. You have a ‘Universal Gift Registry” on your Eventastic website. Don’t be shy! Go crazy with your gift registry so guests aren’t at a loss for what to give. While Eventastic wedding themed website gives couples the added features on their wedding website to tactfully request cash for their wedding and donations to charities, you may want to consider these 10 gift categories when adding actual gifts to your registry.
- Kitchen – appliances, cappuccino maker, indoor grill etc.
- Home – furniture, lighting, decor, cleaning, reno supplies etc.
- Garage – organizers, tool chests, power tools, bicycles etc.
- Yard – lawnmower, leafblower, trees & shrubbery etc.
- Electronics – T.V.’s, projectors, cameras, GPS, stereo etc.
- Deck – barbecue, furniture, accessories, pots etc.
- Fitness – weights, elliptical, exercise bike, Fitbits etc.
- Travel – luggage, clothing steamers etc.
- Fun/Hobby – motorcycle accessories, golf gifts, camping supplies etc.
- Specialty Items – cigars, liquors, wines etc.
If you are the type of person who prefers shopping and trying out a product before purchasing then the cash gifting option on your wedding website is perfect for some items. On your wedding website on Eventastic Weddings, simply type in the amount you are wishing to receive along with a picture of the gift (like vacation, home reno, fence) and guests can then contribute monies toward that item right on your wedding website thus still giving the guests options for gifting.
Eventastic has made it easy for couples making their wedding themed event page to use the gift registry feature and make lists of gift ideas they would truly appreciate whether it be an actual gift item or monies to put toward something in particular they are wishing for. Guests appreciate being given lots of gift options. It’s a win win for everyone. Check out more of our ideas for your wedding registry on our Pinterest Board entitled ‘Wedding Registry Ideas‘.