If you’ve ever had to do a speech at a wedding or assist with one you will know it can be quite a stressful process. Not all those chosen to give a speech are well acquainted with or feel well equipped in speaking in front of a room full of people. The speaker will want to introduce themselves, maybe tell a funny or sentimental story relating to the couple, share their thoughts on how the couple is so well suited for each other and make a toast of well wishes for their future together.
In writing a wedding speech often the author will want to sprinkle their words of wisdom with quotes relating to love and marriage. The quote(s) can be serious and/or comical in nature depending on the speaker’s personality and presentation. They may be quotes taken from famous writers, celebrities or anyone who has shown a flair for words which may be inspirational to the newly married couple. Here are some of our favourite love and marriage quotes seen and heard over the years. Maybe you’ll want to incorporate one into your own speech.
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” Mignon McLaughlin
- “Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife.” Franz Schubert
- “I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.” Rita Rudner
- “Don’t every stop dating your wife and don’t ever stop flirting with your husband.” anonymous
- “Happily ever after is not a fairy tale. It’s a choice.” Fawn Weaver
- “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” Henry Ford
- “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” Friedrich Nietzsche
- “To keep your marriage brimming with love in the wedding cup, whenever you’re wrong, admit it; whenever you’re right, shut up.” Ogden Nash
- “Sexiness wears thin after awhile and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that is a treat.” Joanne Woodward
- “A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love.” Pearl S. Buck
- “It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together…and I knew it.” Tom Hanks, Sleepless In Seattle
- “Immature love says: ‘I love you because I need you.’ Mature love says ‘I need you because I love you.'” Erich Fromm
- “Love is when the other person’s happiness is more important than your own.” H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- “Everything is clearer when you’re in love.” John Lennon
- “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.” Dr. Seuss
When writing your speech for a wedding; whether the master of ceremonies, a friend, family member or wedded one, remember you will be speaking to guests who have just witnessed the special union of two people in love wanting to commit to each other for the rest of their lives. Guests are most likely sensing that warm and fuzzy all over happy tingle and you’ll want to speak words that will augment those feelings and possibly even inspire their own relationships.
Best wishes in writing your speech from Eventastic. We hope our favourite quotes will be helpful.